Adventure
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Terraria-crazy open-ended game

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Terraria-crazy open-ended game Empty Terraria-crazy open-ended game

Post  Joe Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:22 am

Yes, Terraria. Its a crazy fun game. After playing it for hours I can't say I feel much monotany. From the digging, random boss attacks, zombie filled nights, and building its pretty hard to get bored unless that bores you.

Jon and I have been playing on a small world hosted by my computer and we've built an awesome castle including a bridge across the sky (great for collecting falling stars), which has also led us to a floating island.
Screenshots to come.

My next goals are:

-Find more floating islands (Hoping for a horseshoe)
-Find the underground Jungle (and collect treasure!)
-Summon "Eater of Worlds" more to build a Nightmare Pickaxe (So I can mine it all!)

If you guys want to join us we can keep our world or start over on a new one.

Server IP as of 6/28/11: 98.67.145.60

Last edited by Joe on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:09 pm; edited 7 times in total
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Terraria-crazy open-ended game Empty Re: Terraria-crazy open-ended game

Post  Joe Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:58 pm

Got my Nightmare Pickaxe, and dug into the underworld. That place is tough despite my armor and arms. I also snuck into the Dungeon by digging under it and looted a Blue Moon, Cobalt Shield, and Muramasa. Time to show those underworld enemies the power of blue stuff. Gonna need some help with Skeletron though, got him to about half health and he pwned me.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonth Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:19 am

Well, apparently Jake and Nick bought Terraria, and now that DN CBT is almost over, I'll be back as well. Should be fun.
Jonth
Jonth
Admin

https://adventure.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:38 am

it was fun, but where were you? where were you!?! today after 5 i'll probably be on then after 7 joe.
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:03 am

I forgot to leave the server on before I left the house, but I'll try to turn it on during my break, otherwise it'll be about 7:15-7:30. The world is Mayhem, remade Smile. Feel free to bring what you want with you, we didn't start fresh for it. I'll edit this post with the IP when its up. We mostly worked on terraforming a castle and taking down Eater of Worlds.

If you guys want to start fresh on a new world sometime, we can do that too. I think taking a Magic Mirror and Mining Helmet might be alright though, just not other weapons, tools, or armors.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Found a new technique for finding floating islands. Basically, look for dirt walls above the ground that someone hasn't made (and isn't a cave), then jump and place dirt/sand under your feet as you go to make a 1 block tower. If you find clay at the surface that isn't covered by another soil/grass it may also indicate an island as well. There is usually one slightly to the right of the spawn point (our castle).

Patch 1.0.5 is coming soon, has lots of cool new things, including desert stuff, possibly ocean stuff, and more items like alchemy potions (with buffs, such as walking upside-down, and making ore shiny so it can be seen in the dark) and weapons like a spear and a new sword (possibly a gold trident as well).

Last edited by Joe on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:23 pm

Hmm, I just remembered a key element of Mayhem, our castle (tavern) doesn't have any rafters for various people to jump to... need to remedy that.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:38 am

We now have a tavern Smile. Also, the server should be up all day. I get off at 7 and have to run some errands, so have at it. If its down, just let me know and I'll get Brandi to set it back up.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:16 pm

Here are speculative patch 1.0.5 notes and a preview video:

New Weapons:
•Dark Lance Damage: ~26 (17 vs Man eater, 18 def = 9 damage).
•Hellfire Arrow Damage: ~39 (32 vs Hornet, 14 defense = 7 damage). 10 per arrow (Molten Fury base damage is 29).
•Demon Scythe Damage: ~35 (26 vs Man Eater, 18 def = 9 damage).
•Night's Edge Damage: ~45 (36 vs Man Eater, 18 def = 9 damage ).
•Unidentified Golden Trident.
The Dark Lance is a spear, Night's Edge is a Sword, and Demon Scythe is a Spell. They are all possibly crafted from Demonite-tier materials, are upgrades from previous Demonite-tier tools/weapons, may only be found as drops, or may be crafted from a new ore.

Dark Lance:
Sprite is a long pole with a pointed end, which extends both in front and behind the player and is thrusted straight out then retracted. Can hit multiple enemies multiple times, but only with the tip of the lance (?). Estimated range is 7-8 blocks.

Night's Edge:
Very high Damage, with an average reach (estimated 4-5 blocks) and an average swing speed.

Demon Scythe:
Creates Spinning purple blades that travel in the direction you casted it; starts off extremely slowly and picks up speed over time. They can penetrate enemies but not blocks; maximum travel distance is unknown.

Hellfire Arrows:
Hellfire arrows are presumably crafted with hellstone (wood + hellstone ore), or less likely, with an explosive. They do not destroy blocks, whether directly or through splash damage, but can injure the player.

Golden Trident:
Possibly just a gold version of the Dark Lance (i.e a lower tier) or an entirely different branch of weapon.

Extreme Speculation: Tridents are often associated with Merfolk or Gods of the Sea (Poseidon), possibly an indication of an improved ocean biome.

Gameplay Mechanics:
•Loose items now display item name and amount when picked up, and the currently selected item's name is displayed above the hotbar.
•Lighting has apparently been optimized to improve performance.
•Guide now gives crafting/usage information when presented with an item.
•Instance-specific death messages.
•Slimes float on water, flying mobs cannot enter water.
•Possibly changing inventories for NPC's.
New Accessories:
There could possibly be a new Rocket Boot upgrade with purple effects and a much lower mana cost; this could however be a potion which affects standard Rocket Boots.

Potions:
New potions are being added that will grant the player several different "buff" effects, which are displayed in a row of icons beneath the hotbar. Each buff has a small timer near the bottom of the icon which denotes the remaining duration.

Presumably crafted at the alchemy table with either existing or new materials.

Buffs:
•Water-Walking
•Ability to travel on floor or ceiling (quickly change-able). Character is presented upside down when on ceiling. Might be limited to a range (cannot jump to a surface outside max resolution).
•Ability to see Mobs in unlit areas; mobs will have a ghostly green color in darkness and will fade into normal colors in light.
•Ability to see Ores, possibly through color highlight, flashing particles, or both. May also apply to containers.
•Ability to regenerate health/mana. Additionally, the possible ability to reduce/negate mana costs.
•Ability to Emit Light, at a level much higher and with a larger area than current light sources.
•Possibly the ability to increase mob spawning.
•Increased speed/jump height.
•Increased Bow stats (damage, range, rate of fire).
Icons:

•Boot on water (Related to water walking probably).
•Vertical arrows pointing opposite directions (Related to ceiling walking).
•Face with Goggles, Magnifying Glass, Eye (Possibly related to the various ore/mob/container seeing abilities).
•Heart with a plus (Related to increased health regeneration).
•Red Slime with a plus (Possibly related to mob spawning).
•Bow with a plus (Related to increased bow stats).
•Green Boot with a plus (Related to increased movement stats).
•Figure outlined in light (Related to Emitting Light).
Buff Potions may not need to be selected in the hotbar to be consumed and applied.

New Mobs:
One confirmed new mob: Flying Demon Thing

Additional mobs have been added to previously uninhabited biomes, possibly new Mini Bosses.

Additional Info:

•Hardcore mode.
•"Biome Updates" (could be a reference to the fact that the desert now has cacti).
•New items (possibly ores, but no information regarding that has been released).
•New Music/Sounds.
•Less aggressive spam detection and a hibernation mode for servers.
•Possibly new vanity items (Top Hat now legitimately obtainable as The Groom will properly spawn).
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:12 am

Finally got power at 12 last night. The world seems to be fine, so it must have backed up not too long before it was cut off. Its up now and I'll be on after 2 today.

New IP is: 98.67.144.55

For convenience, I'm going to start putting the new IP in the very first post on the thread, check it if you can't connect.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonth Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:20 am

Sounds cool. They should introduce a PvP aspect, complete with a team feature so you don't hurt people you don't want to. That way people could make separate bases, and compete against each other.
Jonth
Jonth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:50 pm

From Terraria wikia:

PvP can be enabled by clicking on the swords in the inventory. You can only damage players that also have PvP enabled. There is currently no global PvP server option, though it could be added in the future.

I guess they mean that crossed swords symbol. Sounds fun, we could make a fight club arena n' such.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:54 am

Server is up, IP still the same.

Edit: Patch 1.0.5 is now live!

New stuffs, yay! Hopefully the enemy strength based spawning really does cut down on imps and bone worms. I'll have to update the server when I get home, so its unavailable till then (7ish).

Patch notes:

NPCs

● 8 New Enemies, find them!
● Changed the way worm enemies spawn.
● Bats, Hornets, and Eyeballs no longer enter water
● Slimes now float in water.
● Only one giant slime will appear at a time.
● The Guide now seems quite knowledgeable in what an item can be made into if you show it to him.
● NPC shops now sell some items on certain nights, or after certain events.
● Devourers should no longer gain random other enemies as its head.
● The Nurse now charges the correct amount for healing.
● Bats now have a death sound effect.
● Talking to the old man at night will give the player a warning now before summoning the dungeon boss.
● Entering the dungeon before defeating Skeletron now spawns a new NPC instead of Skeletron’s head. This should fix several issues with that event.
● Enemy coin drops have been adjusted.
● Man Eaters and Snatchers are no longer effected by knockback and can attack through walls.
● Eater of Souls’ and Hornet AI has been improved.
● Enemies now take up different amount of *slots* depending on AI style and strength. This will help balance conditions when there are lots of strong monsters spawned at once, such as Imps and Bone Serpents.
● Fish are no longer upside-down when out of water.
● Green slimes have been weakend so that start players can deal with them more easily.
● Slimes and Flying enemies no longer make a splash sound when hitting water.
● Items of “Blue Rarity” or higher no longer burn up in lava.
● Burning Skull has been renamed to Cursed Skull, and given different AI.
● Enemy caster’s have had their rate of fire slowed down.
● Meteor heads have less health, do more damage, and move slower.
● There are now slight size variations to the Eater of Souls and the Angry Bones.
● Skeletron has less defense and health.

Items

● New Feature : Buffs activated by Using Potions. Right click a buff to remove it from yourself.
● Over 50 new items!
● The Silver Short swords recipe has been corrected, it is now craftable.
● Torches and candles no longer work when wet.
● Destroying a placed sign while you are reading it will no longer cause your character to become frozen.
● Rocket boots no longer require mana. They will provide lift for 1 second and recharge every time the player touches the ground or uses grapple. Lift speed has been slightly increased to offset loss of long flights. This makes the boots more viable for caster Characters.
● The explosion animation for bombs is now correctly displayed in multiplayer.
● There is now a message pop-up when the player receives an item.
● Filled Buckets may no longer be emptied into solid ground.
● Pots in the underworld now have a chance to drop new items
● Handgun and Phoenix Blaster have been reduced in size.
● Lowered the knockback of Muramasa.
● Reduced the damage of the Blue Moon.
● Flintlock Pistol and Musket have increased damage.
● Only normal trees drop acorns.
● Falling sand clumps are no longer carried by magic missiles/flamelash.
● Jungle armor is no longer a drop. It is a craftable set.
● Magic Mirror now requires mana to be used.
● Harpoon and Maces now correctly show the player’s arm animation.
● The arms dealer will sell unholy arrows at night after the Eater of Worlds has been defeated.
● Space Gun does more damage, but only penetrates 2 enemies.

Server

● Spam detection is less aggressive.
● Increase multiplayer security.
● Fixed a bug that could crash the server when the max amount of clients are connected.
● Added an option to enable additional cheat protection for servers.
● Servers now hibernate when no players are connected.
● Blood Moons now stop correctly if time is changed to day by the server.

Misc

● Corrected some spelling and grammar mistakes.
● Lighting code has been optimized to increase performance.
● Mud and ash now have a chance to fall like sand when struck.
● World update rate has been reduced slightly.
● Water now evaporates when it reaches the underworld.
● Slowed the rate of plant growth.
● Hardcore is now an option when creating a new player. Hardcore players are gone for good after dying.
● The Jungle now has its own music track.
● Vines that refused to grow longer than 1 tile in length while underwater, will now grow correctly.
● Pot graphic was brightened to make it more visible.
● Plants growing out of a clay pot can no longer be cut with a weapon. The new alchemy plants can be grown in these pots.
●Gems, ore, and gold chests now have a sparkle effect.
● Giant glowing mushrooms will now grow back over time.
● The player now starts out with a copper shortsword.
● Dungeon bricks and walls have had their brightness reduced.

Game Interface

● Upon death, A more specific death message will appear for other players, so they know how you died.
● The crafting and armor interface text will fade out when an item tooltip is in front of it.
● The Hot Bar now shows the name of the selected item.
● PVP now requires 5 seconds between Activation and Deactivation and visa versa to prevent PVP spam. The same cooldown is in effect for Team Changing as well.
● Added hotkeys for quickly drinking healing, mana, and buff potions.The healing/mana potion you use is based on the same principle arrows are. Top-Left most item first. The buff potions are all used at once.
● Holding right click on an empty space in the inventory will no longer make a sound effect as if something was there to be picked up.
● Defense totals are now shown in your inventory.

World Gen

● Tweaked the way sand is created during world gen. (Requires new world.)
● Oceans are now slightly larger and generation layout has been improved. (Requires new world.)
● Cactus now grow on sand.
● Coral now grows in the ocean.
● Chests can now spawn near the surface of the world. They will contain treasure that new players may find useful. (Requires new world.)
● Chests and pots now contain loot based on the level they spawn in. (Requires new world.)
● Gold chests will now spawn in some parts of the world. (Requires new world.)
● Corrupt chasms have less of a chance to spawn on jungles. They also now have a cave connecting most of the chasms. (Requires new world.
● Traces of demonite are created during world gen. (Requires new world.)
● Surface jungles have been enlarged, and will override deserts. (Requires new world.)
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:28 pm

Server 1.0.5 is up, enjoy.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm liking patch 1.0.5 but a few things got nerfed. The Underworld is pretty much super easy now, no more 6 imps and 4 bone worms attacking you all at once, it almost makes me sad.

I'm working on an alchemy greenhouse project on the left side of our house, but I think I'll have to move it outside and stick it in the air to get the plants to bloom properly (they have certain conditions). If you collect any seeds, I can plant them for you.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:01 am

I got some new server software that has alot more options (called TShock). It allows me to set the ability to disable building, make chests private to the person who places it, and some other cool stuff. Best of all, I can control spawn rates and initiate events like bosses, goblin armies, and blood moons.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Server is up, loaded with Titan. I'm going to experiment later and see if I can run both Titan and Mayhem at the same time on different ports.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:08 pm

New Goal: Cleanse a Corruption with Purification Powder =p
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:35 pm

thats alot of cocaine... I mean powder... *snort* yeah powder.... mmm.... tasty tasty powder....
...hey where'd all these bugs come from.... who put all this skin on here? .... wow.... thats alot of blood... welp if you'll excuse me I think i'll call 911 oh wait I'm too high on powder to know the number for 911... maybe I should call information... hmmm.... getting kinda dark in here..... lets see here got the phone.... darn got red stuff all over the buttons... that just won't do... ah here we go now Its all bright... why do I feel like I'm in a tunnel.... *thud*
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:19 am

I cleansed the corruption to the left on Titan, for the most part. It took about 20+ stacks of powder.

How do you guys feel about the new server software? Is the mass summoning stuff worth it?
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:17 pm

Terraria 1.1 is now out... and it is awesome!

-Over 30 new enemies
-New Ore
-New Biomes
-Tons of new Armor and Gear
-New Boss in the Underworld, which is also linked to a new "end-game" mode (hallow vs corruption)
-Mechanics system, you can now run wires, water/lava pumps, etc.
-3 new NPCs to rescue, linked to some new features (such as above)
-Traps, along with the new mechanics system, you can run into traps underground
-Cities can be built underground more properly (will eventually stop enemies from spawning there).
-Holiday updates, currently Christmas is in, and a snow biome is out with gangster snowmen
-Updates to the game's speed and resource useage, as well as colored lighting effects and backgrounds
-NPCs can be assigned living spaces, so they no longer wander about the house, or you could build a village.
-NPCs also have names now, so you can tell duplicated apart. Could be possible to build multiple settlements with NPCs.

I've got to say, I'm impressed! If you guys want, I'll start a server again. There are quite a few other things release before this update you might not know about, such as various decoration items, and crafting items like the loom and sawmill.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonth Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:37 pm

Perhaps sir. Enough time has passed and it seems enough things have been released to warrant returning to it.
Jonth
Jonth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:12 am

I played on it all day, it is pretty sweet. I tried out the mechanic type stuff and made it so that when I go by the inside doors in my house, they open and close as you approach or leave them. I've also made a moat complete with dart traps and retractable "bridge", door bloackades operated by a switch, a bunny factory, a boulder defense system, blinking christmas lights, and all the torches in my house are controlled by one switch.

Oh yeah, there is a shotgun now, very nice on blood moons.
Terraria-crazy open-ended game Shotgu10
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:39 pm

Here are some examples of my wiring:

Moat with retractable and sealing walkway, and light switch is off.
Terraria-crazy open-ended game Dark10

Lights are on, and Bunny is trapped.
Terraria-crazy open-ended game Bye_by10

Wires, only visible when using a wrench, operate various things in the house.
Terraria-crazy open-ended game Wired10

Bunny and Bird factory, to populate my floating park.
Terraria-crazy open-ended game Factor10

Wires for factory.
Terraria-crazy open-ended game Factor11

Forcefield, to get rid of my blockades, activated by lever.
Terraria-crazy open-ended game Forcef10

Forcefields down!
Terraria-crazy open-ended game Forcef11

Forcefield wiring. You can also see my lamp post light switch.
Terraria-crazy open-ended game Wiring10

There is a crazy amount of potential here, for puzzles, traps, etc.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:27 pm

I CAN HAZ SHOTGUN!?!?!?!?!??!???!?!??

harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content