Adventure
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE END IS NIGH!

+3
Nick
Joe
harbinger
7 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

THE END IS NIGH! Empty THE END IS NIGH!

Post  harbinger Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:34 pm

ha! that got your attention right? you bet your mashed potato it did!
so it has come to my attention (via the duck) that the world is going to end around july this year (yay) and not 12-21-2012 as according to prophecy. As for knowing what date if either is more accurate, well theres only one way to find out right? but anyway this topic comes from a brief joking conversation between yours truly and said duck today on his break. So I thought why don't we have an appocolypse survival thread up in this hizzy yo? (yeah one of my head voices is a gangster rapper). and so now we have one.

Some things we should address:
rendezvous point
resources such as weapons and equiptment
aquireable resources such as solar panels and foods
water filtration/purification
safe house/ locations to hide from undead or chineese hoards

Suggested reading:
The action hero's handbook by david and joe Borgenicht
The Zombie survival guide by Max Brooks
The Ultimate Survival Guide by John Wiseman
Outdoor Survival Guide by Randy Gerke

Suggested Sites:
http://www.december212012.org/
http://www.weaponscombat.com/
http://www.ready.gov/
http://www.captaindaves.com/guide/

Last edited by harbinger on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

THE END IS NIGH! Empty Re: THE END IS NIGH!

Post  harbinger Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:49 pm

well as far as place to survive it would appear that the jon joe area would be safest, joe having the most dirt for farming hunting and hiding, it would probably be smartest with jons location near by enough for additional resources. and as far as weapons go I think I got a pretty good cache going, but joe would be good back up on that if he were to borrow some of his families devices as well. now as far as farming goes I'm okay at it, I figure we can do a makeshift greenhouse out of clear plastic tarping to prevent frost etc on certain crops. as far as a need for power we'll swipe some of the state's solar panale trailors, you know those orange things usually near those big flashy interstate construction signs that say stuff like "right lane closed ahead or caution". and as far as storing that juice we'll swipe a large quantity of 8-D semi truck batteries and series them together so we can use them at night time or for things such as a water heater or maybe even power tools. now jon has some (very little I know) medical training so guess what he'll be in charge of. me and joe can worry alot about the construction/ repair work of machines and structures, nick seems to be the most experienced as far as animal care and upkeep goes so if he doesn't get eated by chineese zombies he can be the animal guy just dont get too attached chances are we'll be eating a good portion of your furry friends. now water purification is going to be a challenge we'll need A: a continous supply of fresh water and B: an very effective low-maintnence purification set up. I know two ways to get fresh/clean water one is horribly low in production it involves digging a hole and suspending a bucket in said hole filling hole below bucket with water and pretty much covering the hole with plastic so the water vaperizes up to the plastic then rolls to the center of plastic and clean water forms dripping into the bucket. the other slightly better method involves pouring dirty water through a homemade filter made from layers of charcoal and sand layering each in a sandwiching effect. still not very practical... as far as living conditions go we'll want to be far enough from the roads to only be seen by whom we want to prevent the lesser elements of society from killing the crap outta us, also we'll have to fortify our sleeping/storage locations and preferably fireproof them and have some kind of window cover that can close from inside and survive damaging blows plus keep any solar generated light from escaping said location, we dont want a glowing becon in the night for preditors to track. yeah thats my basic ideas your turns
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Well, I have 48 acres of land, mostly forested, but quite a bit also farmable, and there are nearby iron deposits and other various minerals. Between all of us we have a hefty collection of weaponry, as well as books on making various things. I believe they have books on making your own wind turbines and solar panels as well. There is also a large valley in my pasture that could make a decent bunker, though much of the rock is hardened sandstone after about 1ft or so.

I've also got a 4 year agriculture education with FFA *highfive*, and we have a working water well on the land (as well as a natural gas well, my cousin's water well you can light the water on fire for a fraction of a second). Though, that might also be a negative.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:13 pm

your not the only 4-year ag member whitey but *internet highfive* on the well and... uh... other well gas would be lovely if its on your own tap cause the companies will shut down in a major disaster so no gas unless you have a well and a water well means a source of water but we'll still have to clean it to a point
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:01 pm

I was high fiving because you were also a 4 year member =p. Yeah, we have to manage the well, part of the reason why my heat goes off in winter is because they don't maintenance it and neither does my family (water freezes in the gas piping), but they do pay us for their useage (about $40-130 per month). Its out in the woods anyway, part of the reason my family doesn't do much besides keeping it clear of brush etc, is that no one wants to walk out there and try to thaw it when its 30 degrees or less.

I don't think I'd drink out of the water well without some purification. Short term plan: stock up on Britta filters =p.

Oh, and my father's collection of old cars counts for a large amount of iron and metal resources (as well as possible transportation, shelter, make-shift weapons, etc.). Just push a car shell out somewhere (no engine), remove the floor and dig out a bit and you have a guard-post type bunker/temp shelter.

Edit: Suggested reading: "Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills", and Amazon also suggests "How to Survive the End of the World as we Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times"

Not read the second one, but I read the first at the library and its quite thorough, though more about old-time stuff, its still applicable. I think I'll order those two, since the book went missing at the library.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm

old undrivable cars would be a good place to watch from especially with engines that dont work, makes em bullet proof in the front and your less noticable in a car than some random guy in a field. building a shelter semi-near the gas well would keep us off the beaten path and make working on it easier. as for car-shelters... not so much but i do recall you had some kind of rv/ campers too right? mobile! worse case scenario bust into falls ford down the road swipe a really big ford f-450 or something and drag a trailor or two deep into the property
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:36 pm

I have an RV (4 capacity), a trailer camper (2 or so), a large trailer camper (3-4), and a truck bed camper (2 comfortably). In addition, I have an actual trailer as well (2 bedroom). Though, they'd need maitenance to be "liveable" by today's standards (stove, bathroom, etc.). We also have a row boat, a motor boat, and various bikes (motor and non-motor) and 2 four wheelers.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:40 pm

well basically I see it as a "fancy" campsite set up moving about is going to be pretty much outta the question as gasoline will be to hard to aquire... now if you make a solar powered atv then we'll talk lol. I just wish that electricity wouldnt be an issue to where we could aquire video camera equiptment
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:33 pm

I have a little survival training. I have been an animal trainer so guard dogs would be cool. I have a small armory in my room and my dad has lotsa guns. My family has a master key that works on every building in uptown, most of which only sell food and non-perishables and I am a good cook....so ya. The only problem i foresee is me getting there (seven hour drive, assuming normal highway driving is not possible, several day walk) but I would more than likely go from can to car when possible and just work my way there, by the time I get there y'all should have set up camp a bit. Will bring some well needed food (and booze for Jake) and we will go from there.
Nick
Nick

Location : In a wet cardboard box suffering from a seizure while eating a stick of deoderant. Or was that a dream....?

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:27 pm

hey in post appocoyptica vodka is not for drinking! sterilizing and cleaning, as well as medicinal... too rare when you can die from an infected papercut
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:04 pm

My family owns a bar that is fully stocked....
Nick
Nick

Location : In a wet cardboard box suffering from a seizure while eating a stick of deoderant. Or was that a dream....?

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:06 am

yeah... if things go bad your in a pretty urban enviroment your best bet is to either get out before things get bad (which is usually too late by time you can) or lay low and protect yourself until the initial chaos dies down and then attempt escape with supplies and a "borrowed" vehicle, in your case i would recomend a cargo van, you know usually white, people offer free candy to small kids from? that is much better than a truck or suv as fuel efficency goes and can haul alot of gear and probably pretty common in your area. now if things go bad

now as for I. i'll be trying to acquire something like the below image to double as a safehouse/bunker escape/ recon vehicle, being deisel it'l be semi fuel efficent bullet/bomb proof and can hold quite a few people and supplies, but no way i'd try to drive it from ohio to ky, way to inefficent on fuel for long trips
THE END IS NIGH! Lazar_10
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:34 pm

so i'm thinking about looking into buying a bow, yeah sara might wanna brush up on them thar bow huntin skillz cause reusable ammo and no need for a silencer sounds lovely to me. so yeah if anyone comes across a cheap used bow with around 50-70 lbs of pull force let me know! that would be perfect for hunting for foods not so much for self deffense simply because i could probably shoot 30 ar rounds in the time it takes to fire two arrows. but bullets aren't reusable...
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:06 pm

I am actually training a hunting dog for a school project. It is an attempt to train a violent dog to control itself with a constant outlet. He being trained (this is not my idea, I am working with someone who does this often) and with some commands he runs of and catches anything he can. He gets rabbits, squirrels, sometimes even fish. That may help us, no?
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:04 pm

as long as it catches more than it eats, would also be useful as a deffense, if a dog gets the drop on an armed suspect its pretty much game over for the badguy, just make sure it goes for the weapon arm. but the dangers of a taste of human blood are pretty bad. i've heard stories of pitbull/rotwieler owners being attacked in there sleep one story was of a paraplegic who woke up to find his dog eating his leg, not to mention its another mouth to feed, espevially at first it will probably be a bit too difficult, might need to concentrate on food animals.... tasty tasty food animals
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:46 pm

I don't think it will be quite as extreme as I tend to imagine, maybe similar to the great depression, but you never know with people today, the society seems fairly fragile.

I've ordered the above books, for my own interests as well as a fall-back. I suppose I should stock up on seeds and maybe some jerky. My family has some work with canning goods as well, so it shouldn't be a huge issue to prepare. Canned fruits seem to be good for years till the seal is broken.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:49 pm

indeed! canned food for all. and no an econmoic crash may not lead to violent mass insanity, but its a good start towards it, if a solution is not found fast society will further decay to a point of irrepairability. from there it will either stop existing on any kind of scale, or it will start anew, take a look at roman society, the mayans, han dynasty, or even the easter islands. its called "the house of cards" and from there people will become desperate and form roaming gangs. people who normally would not resort to criminal activites will do so simply for a means of survival. soon society will be much like the old west with vigilante justice as crime and punishment and so on and so forth til we're back into the dark ages, what i fear is before that piont we're going to have some kind of dictator type person making all kinds of problems and all this like hitler after WWI. there is alot of ways this can develope and VERY FEW of them positive. to be prepared there is no loss you just look paranoid, to be unprepared is death. i've been reading into a bit of mayan "prophecies" as well as biblical, and even nostradomus(sp?). sadly for the most part it seems pretty bleek besides the biblical rapture, it seems the mayans may have a possible positive outcome as they predict the whole 12 21 2012 thing as a transition beyond the need of a tangable form of currency. and if you look at society money is really not that old of an invention. so maybe we're heading towards some kinda happy star trek future, or maybe were just gonna get nuked off the face of the earth only time will tell. but if were stuck in the middle of said options there will be only two choices, survive or die
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:15 pm

......I want to buy a gun.......I feel like the least useful member of this survival plan, seeing as how I have little to no long lasting/defensive resources.....
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Is anyone awake right now? I just found out I don't have school and I am uber bored...
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 pm

lets see... your under 18 so buying a rifle is a parental purchase and under 21 so owning a pistol is a big no no... i would recommend using 500-600 dollars to buy a good ak-47, very reliable tons of parts more powerful bullet then my ar-15 except doesnt have the long range but is very good under 150 yards which is more range than you will need. but for a bit more you can get a used or entry level ar-15 just make sure it is a 5.56 because it will be ableto shoot either 5.56 (militar ammo) or .223 civilian ammo, plus if society falls apart military armories will be raidable for parts and ammo. same thing pretty much to an ak, now that i think about it is the sks, same ammo, most can use same magazines as an ak. but are around 400 bucks or sometimes a bit less. since you cant legally buy it in your name i would suggest ckecking flea markets and such for these specific rifles, just be weary of buying used AR's cause the need the most upkeep of these rifles.

THE END IS NIGH! Varian10

THE END IS NIGH! Stock-10

THE END IS NIGH! Sks-ri10

harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:53 pm

Can you get on ddo? I is bored
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:05 am

well....can you?
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:02 pm

I plan to prepare, mostly by stockpiling knowledge. Some more useful books might be those on plant care (we just got one at the library on diagnosing and treating diseases) as well as live stock (chickens, cows, etc. some birds and animals can be toxic to others if kept in the same area). Like I said though, needs me some tactical bacon and plant seeds, and right now they have fruit trees and grape vines in planters at wal-mart too.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:17 pm

my god i love me some grapes... they're nature's candy!

and i seen that tactical bacon at coal creek armory when i was looking at a canister shotgun 10 year shelf life! almost bought a can as a novelty item ... well that and an emergency bacon cache... god i love me some bacon

also below is a pretty color picture to illistrate the small scale water purification i pointed out in the first part of this topic

THE END IS NIGH! Jungle10
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:10 pm

The preservatives in that bacon would probably kill you more than the lack of nutritional quality, but food is better than no food in the long run I guess.

I've seen a similar concept to that still on Survivor Man, like when he was in Austrailia and put plastic bags (probably thin translucent garbage bags) over tree limbs and tied them. The sun + foliage created some drinkable water.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum