Adventure
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragon Quest 9

3 posters

Go down

Dragon Quest 9 Empty Dragon Quest 9

Post  Jonth Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:55 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know what me and Sara have been doing. We were walking in Wal-Mart and I decided to pick up the newest edition on Nintendo Power magazine. On the cover was the newest instalment of the dragon quest series of games. I had heard of the Dragon Quest series but was never willing to give it more than an inital glance. But I began reading about this particular release and within minutes, I told Sara, "This game looks awesome." Within the next few days I had purchased me and Sara each a copy for the DS, and I was instantly hooked. Sara being a bit more reluctant didn't give it a good look at first, but within a week she was also was hooked, and she is actually further along in the storyline than I am now.

The game is unique in its ability to take single player, old school, RPG gameplay and merge it modern multi-player functionality. Enough thought has been put into both the single player storyline and gameplay, and multiplayer gameplay that each would be worth giving a look at seperately. You start out as a Minstrel, but can soon choose between and Warrior, Mage, Priest, Martial Artist, Minstrel, or Thief. However, through the course of the game you can quest to unlock 6 more classes (Gladiator, Armamentalist, Paladin, Ranger, Sage, and Superstar?).

Starting and new class means you start back at level 1, but if you switch back to a leveled up class you'll be the same level you were before you switched. There is also a skill customization ability. At certain levels you receive skill points to allocate to your classes skill trees. There will be three weapons, a shield if the class uses shields, and a class specic tree for every class. Weapon trees often overlap with other classes, so points used in your warrior's sword skill tree will still be there on your thief's sword skill tree. You can also master a skill tree and then you will be able to equip a given weapon to whatever class you want.

Multiplayer works on a host-guest system. One player hosts a a game (local wireless only), and up to 3 guests can join the host's world to either wander about the hosts world individually doing side quests they have accepted in their world or fighting enemies to level up, or tag along with the host to help out. The host can choose to call all players to aid in battle at any given time, and only the host can advance the storyline of their world.

Early in the game you will visit a hotel that asks you to canvass for guests. This means you put your game in tag mode, and anyone else in tag mode will become a guest at your hotel (an NPC of them) and you at theirs. Tag players often have chosen a treasure map to keep on them that other players will receive when tagged. Treasure maps are created by beating randomly generated dungeons. Upon completion of a dungeon, you will receive a treasure map of that dungeon making it static and not randomly generated.

Nintendo is hosting an even where they will be releasing on new sidequest via wi-fi every week for an unknown to me amount of weeks.

So yeah... That's what me and Sara have been doing for the past 2 weeks...
Jonth
Jonth
Admin

https://adventure.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Dragon Quest 9 Empty Re: Dragon Quest 9

Post  harbinger Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

wow sounds pretty cool even for a nintendo product... hurry up and burn out on though me and joe just got the crap beat out of us for like 2 hours by one map we were just to stubburn to pull out of.
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonth Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:00 pm

I went to the Dragon Quest IX connect and play event today at Game Stop. Sara had to work, so I took her game as well. We both got an in game bonus treasure map containing a legacy boss. He is way too hard for either of us right now, but it's still pretty cool. We also each got a free blue t-shirt with a slime on the front and a DQ9 logo on the back, a set of DQ stickers, and I picked up one wall scroll. Pretty awesome, especially the t-shirts.

So far this game is pretty awesome. You can create several NPC characters, and have up to three follow your main character. I have my character and one based off of Sara leveled decently, and have made one of Joe and Jake recently. I'm a Paladin, Sara is a Mage, Jake is going to be a Gladiator, and Joe will either be a Priest or a Sage.

Jonth
Jonth
Admin

https://adventure.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:29 pm

I think I might have to pick up a copy, sounds fun.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:54 pm

NOOOO!!!! JOEEEEE!!! DON"T GO TO THE DARK SIDE!!!!!!! lol, eh maybe if its still cool when I get back to the corbin I might consider thinking about considering inquiring about purchasing said stuffs...
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Indeed Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:50 pm

I agree with Abe Lincoln, I may get one

Indeed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down