Adventure
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zombie Apocalypse?

4 posters

Go down

Zombie Apocalypse? Empty Zombie Apocalypse?

Post  Joe Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:21 pm

I saw this article that a friend shared on facebook. Pretty much the reason why I'm not concerned with them. Warning, contains some foul language/inappropriate content.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html

Now, if its "magic" zombies and includes them coming out of the ground and what-not, that I might worry over. Scientifically, unless they have a working circulatory system, the whole idea of movement is pretty shot. A simple concept of this is the way arachnids and insects move, they literally use their blood pressure in a way not unlike the way a steam engine uses steam. So that, among other things like the brain sending electrical signals, breathing to maintain digestion and support the circulatory system, etc. it just isn't a feasible concept unless it involves nanomachines, mind control, or magic.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Zombie Apocalypse? Empty Re: Zombie Apocalypse?

Post  Half-Elven Warrior Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:24 am

It's the McZombie virus we must fear.... So many chemicals and preservatives within the food create the ultimate zombies...
Half-Elven Warrior
Half-Elven Warrior

Location : A forest that lies somewhere between Narnia and Middle Earth

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:29 pm

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/10/1001027-rabies-influenza-zombie-virus-science/

yeah well maybe those zombie haters never seen a meth-head during hurricane katrina. its not the classic living dead i really am concerned with, its the scum of the earth rising up to claim it as theres when law and order finally falls all the way down and we few honest folk are left to survive against the retards you see walking around cracked out of their minds, raping and murdering anything they can find (figurativley and literally) and when that day comes i want to be as ready as possible, and i'll stand there on the heaps of bodies and say no sir, not while i still breath. and then i'll eat my cereal from the skulls of my enemies... mmm tastes like awesome
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Half-Elven Warrior Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:39 pm

That's my overly testosterone supplied cereal killer boyfriend! Lol
Half-Elven Warrior
Half-Elven Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm not too worried about that either. When the ammo is gone, and/or their guns stop working the most reckless ones will become of little threat, but the intelligent ones with skills that aren't out to form friendly communities, those are dangerous. The meth/drug heads are likely to commit suicide as it is, unless they can still create their chemicals or get them from someone who can, but for a short time where the withdrawls are there, they'd be highly unstable. Plus there is also the severity based on location, places where vice and drug use (and low resources) are already rampant, such as large cities and pockets here and there in boondocks and small towns.

For Corbin specifically, I think the threat will be relatively short lived, based on the amount of meth heads vs people that are prepared for such hard times. Its also a matter of opulence vs practicality, right now they use drugs because they can still survive otherwise on their job/government check. A few may go hungry just to obtain their drugs, but thats fairly far and few between. When the drug is no longer available and they're forced to find food, etc. and the majority of them already just sponge off of their family, though there will be a few that continue to steal, etc. Aside from that, Corbin has little "opulence" about it, so the next few sentences have little to do with it.

The main group I'd worry about are those that are relatively unpredictable, such as those who are entrenched in the media bubble and in wall-street type jobs, government, arts, fashion etc. Since those are "opulent" type facets of the human condition, they have little place at the beginnings of society where food production/procurement (and defense) are main goals. Tradeskills such as these aren't taught in schools, and few people have interest in them, so theivery is a basic alternative. Its not the only alternative though, nor is it a long lived one, as a city of thieves would not work very well after a short while (production needs to be larger than theivery for theivery to be worthwhile i.e. Thief 1 steals 3 loaves of bread from the baker and eats one, Theif 2 steals 2 loaves from Thief 1 and eats one, Thief 3 steals 1 loaf and eats it, Thief 4 attempts to steal from Thief 3 and doesn't get a loaf, so he/she goes hungry).

I'm at work and can't focus anymore, so there is my addition to the discussion XD.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:18 pm

baha! the wall streeters will be eaten by the gangbangers and dope heads!, look at feral dogs vs. domestic, they pack up and those who do not convert are killed, you think people are better than that? sadly the survivers will be back woods folk and inner city douches, killers and rapers rich middle class folk will not survive long, unless they are bunkered somewhere
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8&feature=related

watch that and all your arguments are void... if that thing shifted to people instead of just the hundreds of individual species... doom, and after the video:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps_unilateralis

up until this i figured any form of zombie would pretty much just be sci-fi but than i found out nature had a secret weapon all along... though they don't yet eat people... yet... Muwahahahaaa

still think its gonna be economy collapse or crazy natural disaster but meh zombie could almost be plausable after seeing that thing

Last edited by harbinger on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Half-Elven Warrior Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:26 pm

Another yeast-like fungus is a debated theory of the Salem Witch Trials. Supposedly their wheat crop was contaminated and so their bread would basically control them causing fits and insanity. So I feel this fungus is completely plausible in some form of human control/zombiefication
Half-Elven Warrior
Half-Elven Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:58 pm

Evolution has some neat tricks, indeed. I already considered it when I watched Planet Earth. Its a pretty interesting concept, but I think its trick is a bit too specialized to affect anything aside from insects. The way their nervous systems work is quite different to most animals, and my hypothesis is that it acts on an evolutionary chemical related instinct in the ants, but it could possibly be a form of intelligence on the part of the fungi. Technically fungi is neither plant nor animal, so its possible they may have developed a more advanced form of intelligence than we realize. I suspect the same thing from carnivorous plants since predators generally have advanced intelligence vs herbivores.

There is also the acacia tree of Africa, though it may just be a chemical response... There are reports of groups of antelope dying off en masse due to consuming the usually harmless acacia trees, but apparently during great droughts they become poisonous, presumably as a self-preservation instinct so as not to lose all of their leaves. This hasn't been an apparent problem till they overfarmed the antelope, so it leaves the question as to if this is a new adaptation, or an ancient one that hasn't surfaced again till now. These forms of possible intelligence could be wild-cards in the Zombie equation.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:49 pm

yeah... it really wont matter so much how it ends just that it does if it does so ima keep buying guns... btw joe i'm looking for a small high capacity machine pistol thingy, sorta like your dad's tec-9's so if you see something cheap or hear of it... yeah. also everyone we need a hangout/ range day when it finally freaking warms up!!!!!
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  harbinger Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:27 pm

http://www.cracked.com/article_15643_5-scientific-reasons-zombie-apocalypse-could-actually-happen.html

this popped up on my face book, i found number 2 to be my favorite, yeah good times i'll go get the shotgun and my ax
harbinger
harbinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonth Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:43 am

Just read that, pretty good. Got to say the nanobot zombie is my favorite... SUre that doesn't come as a surprise.

Yeah, it is 5:42 AM right now... Was woke up about 20-30 minutes ago due to the unearthly sound of hail pounding against my trailer. First reaction was to turn on the computer to check for tornado weather. No tornado weather mentioned, but I found your article. It entertained me long enough for the storm to pass, and I am now going back to bed. Until the day hours people.
Jonth
Jonth
Admin

https://adventure.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Half-Elven Warrior Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:24 am

...it doesn't have the McZombie virus... I guess that makes the mad cow disease and brain reanimation my favorite.
Half-Elven Warrior
Half-Elven Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum