Adventure
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asperger Syndrome?

4 posters

Go down

Asperger Syndrome? Empty Asperger Syndrome?

Post  Joe Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:44 pm

I've been kind of curious about Autism for some time now, in that it seems I have a few of the issues they do (on a smaller scale) and I find the "disorder" fascinating. I've also been in love with the show "Big Bang Theory", and especially enjoy the character, Sheldon. He kind of reminds me of myself + Jon in some sort of Dragonball Z fusion, only mentally because he is a wimp physically. When I looked up info on him, I found most people believe he is a portrayal of the Asperger Syndrome (the director says he based him off an old friend, and not as a stereotype), which is a disorder in the Autism Spectrum. After reading up on that, I think there are a lot of similarities between my life and experiences compared to the symptoms, so I decided to take a few tests, and it seems I may be right to have some suspicions. If you guys would feel comfortable doing so, would you mind to take some of these tests and post your results? Here are mine:

I got these from Wrong Planet, an online Autism/Asperger community site.

AQ test: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html
I got: 31 (16 or so is normal, 32+ is likely asperger syndrome)

Broad Autism Spectrum Phenotype Test: http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-broad-autism-phenotype-test
I got: 78 aloof, 98 rigid, and 89 pragmatic

Empathy Quotient vs Systemizing Quotient: http://eqsq.com/eq-sq-tests/
I got: 21 EQ and 92 SQ (Extreme Systemizing), I have a feeling Jon is the same here. Extreme Systemizers are usually Aspies or in the Autism Spectrum.

The Aspie Quiz: http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php
I got: 138/200 Aspie, 79/200 Neurotypical, very likely an Aspie. Plus this cool chart (I think its a kidney):

Asperger Syndrome? Poly12c

In the end these tests are really just for fun since they're not definative, but I'm considering getting an evaluation for it (generaly, Aspies are eligible for SSI and grants/scholarships).
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Asperger Syndrome? Empty Re: Asperger Syndrome?

Post  Half-Elven Warrior Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:11 pm

I could only take the eq/sq test via my phone. My results are: eq(empathy)-51 sq(systemize)-49 which made my brain-Balanced. That is usually how the majority of my results are. I act on emotion only after I think out the details and determine if the emotion needs acted upon...
Half-Elven Warrior
Half-Elven Warrior

Location : A forest that lies somewhere between Narnia and Middle Earth

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:15 pm

AQ: 35
Broad Autism Spectrum Phenotype Test: scored 111 aloof, 107 rigid and 118 pragmatic
EQ: 12

That's all I could do before I got bored....
Nick
Nick

Location : In a wet cardboard box suffering from a seizure while eating a stick of deoderant. Or was that a dream....?

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:18 pm

Not sure about those tests, they say I am autistic and should be diagnosed, which I don't agree with.
Nick
Nick

Location : In a wet cardboard box suffering from a seizure while eating a stick of deoderant. Or was that a dream....?

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:59 am

Looks like you're pretty normal Rachel Smile. Most of my coworkers scored similarly, except Curtis, he scored similarly to Nick.

Nick, I actually figured you might score pretty close to mine as well, along with Jon. We have a lot of similar mannerisms and Aspergers is generally genetic. It might also be from influence since we have hung out a lot since you were little, but I wouldn't worry too much. I would read up on it though, in case it helps strengthen your weaknesses from the tests (national library of medicine: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002516/ ). If I wouldn't have had the "help" of my coworkers (I use quotes because it was due to bad evaluations, but with good intentions for me to improve) I would have scored quite a bit higher into AS. Personally, I see it as an asset instead of a "disability", especially the alternative thinking that it usually provides (and details that others don't see).
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonth Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:31 am

Only did the first one so far (AQ), but I scored a 37 on it. So... Yeah. I mean, I can't say I'm really too surprised, as it would explain some of my peculiar behaviors. I use to be really bad with the whole social anxiety deal, but I believe God has helped me through a lot of that. When I was younger I would just prefer to stay home all the time, and even now I find myself wishing I could find something where I could work from home.
Jonth
Jonth
Admin

https://adventure.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:53 am

Yeah, I know what you mean. The library is both the best place (in that is fits with my strengths) and worst place (in that is also annoys all of my weaknesses) at the same time. I'd almost rather be fixing computers for a living. I thought you might find the "Wrong Planet" site name pretty funny, when you were a kid you used to say you were an alien, so a lot of people identify with that XD.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Half-Elven Warrior Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:36 am

Joe wrote:Looks like you're pretty normal Rachel Smile.

That may be the first time someone has said I'm normal lol... Now when I take the ADD or ADHD assessments I fail miserably. I have the attention span of something with no attention span. (I couldn't think of anything)
Half-Elven Warrior
Half-Elven Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:57 am

People with AS often have another disorder, such as ADD/ADHD, OCD, etc. But just in that your empathy is so high vs systemizing, its unusual for AS since one of their biggest difficulties is language and socializing (unless they turn it into a system). OCD itself is very close in symptoms to Asperger's, but it usually deals with high anxiety and they're often ashamed of their obsessions and attempt to keep them hidden socially (in addition they have better social skills, and generally think more normally). They're also annoyed by their own compulsions and thoughts, whereas AS tend to embrace them vs becoming frustrated. Another thing is that people with AS often tend to insult people without meaning to, ie when I told my coworker Lisa that her picture in the paper was unflatering she became angry instead of taking it as a compliment that it didn't do her justice (I usually have to double think on such comments now).

Really though, almost everyone has some sort of disorder, if you didn't you'd probably be unusual lol.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Half-Elven Warrior Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:33 pm

I have certain compulsions with sounds, object placement, and other things. Some of which I control, others drive me crazy. So I guess I have slight OCD and attention problems, but you sir are correct everyone has their own quirks!
Half-Elven Warrior
Half-Elven Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum